[Linux-cluster] Cluster vs Distributed? & MySQL Cluster?

Mark Hlawatschek hlawatschek at atix.de
Thu Oct 26 10:11:34 UTC 2006

Hi Mike,

> Well, like anyone, I just want to use my servers in a better manner. Rather
> than constantly having to upgrade, I prefer the idea of just adding a node
> or more when needed. I have a large number of blade servers (left over from
> a kaput ISP) and so have been using those.

You could create a gfs based diskless shared root cluster. That means, all
nodes are booting from the same shared storage boot device and share the same
root device. That'll give you a filesystem based ssi and the flexibility you
need.

> As such, I've created multiple clusters which all share GFS filesystems. I
> have web, mail, mysql clusters which all share data. I've written basic
> scripts to allow for the various needs of the different machines.

To achieve the maximum flexibility, you could create one physical cluster that
hosts different shared root devices which can be used as shared root devices
for different "sub" - clusters (web, mail, mysql).

> Things seem to work well but I'm just wondering if I'm missing more of the
> potential of the Linux Cluster.

have a look at http://www.open-sharedroot.org
and http://www.redhat.com/magazine/021jul06/features/gfs_update/

Mark

--
Gruss / Regards,

Dipl.-Ing. Mark Hlawatschek
http://www.atix.de/
http://www.open-sharedroot.org/

**
ATIX - Ges. fuer Informationstechnologie und Consulting mbH
Einsteinstr. 10 - 85716 Unterschleissheim - Germany