Re: [Linux-cluster] power controller is interal/loss of pwer prevents failover: any ideas

Lon Hohberger wrote:
On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 11:16 -0700, Rick Rodgers wrote:
Does anyone know of a good solution to providing good failover for somthing like a Dell 1850? The issue here is that the power souce plug in the back provides power for both the internal power
controller
and the node itself. So if you pull the cord it will not failover
because
it can not Stonith the failed node (power controller is down also).

Generally, you can't handle this without external fencing.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-cluster/2006-September/msg00026.html

-- Lon

Lon - having reread that previous posting of yours, and esp the last paragraph:

+++
(c) ... If a host does a "graceful shutdown" when
you fence it via IPMI, you need to disable ACPI on that host (e.g. boot
with acpi=off).  The server should turn off immediately (or within 4-5
seconds, like when holding an ATX power button in to force a machine
off).
++++

Just so I am absolutely sure about this: Is the above the only scenario when would have to disable ACPI? e.g. a graceful shutdown is easy to spot. If I don't see one in the logs, that means I can leave ACPI on?

Riaan
begin:vcard
fn:Riaan van Niekerk
n:van Niekerk;Riaan
org:Obsidian Systems;Obsidian Red Hat Consulting
email;internet:riaan obsidian co za
title:Systems Architect
tel;work:+27 11 792 6500
tel;fax:+27 11 792 6522