Re: [Linux-cluster] Fencing with SUN X4100

Hello,

> > Does somebody has any experience with fencing of SUN X4100 machines ?

> a fence agent for Sun's management controller as of yet.  We would be
> more than willing get one in the source base if one were developed.

It is not necessary to develop a fencing agent for SUN. Just use the ipmi
agent, it works, as SUN supports IPMI 2.0 on the X4x00.

How to do it:

Create a user for fencing through the SUN Remote Service Board Web Management,
give this user full rights.

Install if not already done: OpenIPMI and OpenIPMI-tools

Test the fencing with the following command:

fence_ipmilan -l username -p password -a IPAddresse-management -o status -v

This should give you back something like:

Getting status of IPMI:192.168.160.12...Spawning: '/usr/bin/ipmitool -I lan -H
IPaddress -U username -P password -v chassis power status'...
Chassis power = On
Done

For SUN Fire V40Z servers fencing will also work with IPMI, but it is a little
bit different, as it only support IPMI 1.5:

Log in through ssh to the Remote Service board, enable ipmi:

ipmi enable channel lan

(uhh, you should give ipmi a password, but don't ask how, look into the
documentation)

The fencing command looks like the following:

fence_ipmilan -p password -a IPAddresse-management -o status -v

Note that there is no Username!

Sincerly,
Klaus

--
Klaus Steinberger         Beschleunigerlaboratorium
Phone: (+49 89)289 14287  Am Coulombwall 6, D-85748 Garching, Germany