[Linux-cluster] Using heartbeat and network access over the same bonded interface

Hello all,

I'm on a new project where we are deploying a GFS Cluster using two brand new Dell PE-2900 servers. One good thing about the 9th generation of Dell servers is that the IPMI device "listens" on both onboard NIC connectors of the machine. On previous generation machines, you can only access the IPMI LAN interface through NIC #1.

This is good since we plan to have a redundant channel to fence a machine through IPMI.

The project requires a setup like this:
* normal network access on a 10.x.x.x IP range;
* cluster heartbeating on a 192.168.x.x IP range.

The original project was done this way so that network access goes through NIC #1, and heartbeating goes through NIC #2.

What we want to do is:
* create a bond0 device for the 10.x.x.x IP address;
* create a bond0:0 device for the 192.168.x.x IP address;
* use IPMI as a fence device on the 10.x.x.x IP range.

Question: can we share the same bonded device for both normal network access and heartbeating, even if I'm using differente IP ranges? Does anything in the Cluster Software will be affected because of the normal network traffic over the same NICs?

This way we believe we can take advantage of the redundant IPMI interface, becase the bond0 device will guarantee we have an IP route to the 10.x.x.x network for accessing the IPMI device.

Sorry if the explanation is confusing, please advice.

Regards,

Celso.
--
*Celso Kopp Webber*

celso webbertek com br <mailto:celso webbertek com br>

*Webbertek - Opensource Knowledge*

--
Esta mensagem foi verificada pelo sistema de antivĂ­rus e
acredita-se estar livre de perigo.