[Linux-cluster] RHEL 4: quorate or inquorate

Patrick Caulfield pcaulfie at redhat.com
Fri Apr 13 07:56:15 UTC 2007

Dex Chen wrote:
> Thanks for the response.
>
> I figured out the cause. I used "cman_tool leave remove" when I shutdown
> the other 2 nodes. In this way, the remaining one/cluster had "quorum:
> 1, and expected vote 1". I was surprised that the "2 node cluster"
> special case did not prevent this.

'cman_tool leave remove' is one of those "I know what I'm doing" commands.

> My remaining question is:
> Do you see any potential risks such as "split brain" when the stopped
> nodes come back, especially in a more-node cluster (say 5 node cluster)?

As soon as you add a node back in, it will impose its version of expected votes
on the cluster and it will go inquorate again. once you have (in your example) 3
nodes in the cluster all will start working normally.

--
Patrick

Registered Address: Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod Street,
Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 ITE, UK.
Registered in England and Wales under Company Registration No. 3798903