[Linux-cluster] GFS over AOE without fencing?

Kadlecsik Jozsi kadlec at sunserv.kfki.hu
Tue Apr 17 13:05:26 UTC 2007

Hi Bryn,

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:

> > Assuming a dedicated VLAN which servers only AOE and GFS traffic among
> > the Coraid boxes and the GFS hosts, is there any need for fencing at all?
> >
> > What are the hidden traps behind such setups?
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Jozsef
>
> If you are using GFS on shared storage then you need fencing. Period.
>
> The only way you can guarantee data integrity in this scenario is by
> completely cutting a failed or misbehaving node off from the storage;
> either by power cycling it or having the storage reject its access.
>
> Otherwise, imagine a situation where a node hangs for some reason and is
> ejected from the cluster. At this point none of its locks for the shared
> data are valid anymore. Some time later, the node recovers from the hang
> and begins flushing writes to the storage -> corruption.

I see - the sentences above make much more clearer why fencing is needed.
Thank you the explanation - and the hint for the possibility to reject
the access at the storage itself!

Best regards,
Jozsef
E-mail : kadlec at sunserv.kfki.hu, kadlec at blackhole.kfki.hu
PGP key: http://www.kfki.hu/~kadlec/pgp_public_key.txt
Address: KFKI Research Institute for Particle and Nuclear Physics
         H-1525 Budapest 114, POB. 49, Hungary