[Linux-cluster] Maximum restarts and maximum false restarts

Lon Hohberger lhh at redhat.com
Fri Apr 27 16:47:52 UTC 2007

On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 11:58:05AM +0200, Tomas Hoger wrote:
> Hi Lon!
>
> On 4/26/07, Lon Hohberger <lhh at redhat.com> wrote:
> >> It says: "If either of those values are exceeded, the service is
> >> relocated rather than restarted locally."  What are "those values" and
> >> how can they be tweaked?
> >
> >Bug in faq... there's no max restarts/max_false_starts in linux-cluster;
> >it was a clumanager thing.
> >
> >One of two things can happen:
> >* reimplement them ;)
> >* fix the faq.
>
> Thanks for clarification!  That pretty much explains, why I was not
> able to find any traces of that in documentation, rgmanager sources
> and cluster.conf schema reference ;).

If you file a bugzilla about them, we can see how much it'll be worth it
to reintroduce them.

max restarts used to mean:

* If the service is restarted X times, fail over

A false start used to mean:

* A service 'start' phase succeeds, but the first status check fails.

Max false starts was then:

* If the service false-started X times, fail over

It might be difficult to do a service-wide max-false-starts because
individual resources are checked at different times.  In RHCS3,
everything was checked at the same time all the time.

-- Lon