[Linux-cluster] LVS redundancy server and network type: DIRECT

Steve Rigler srigler at MarathonOil.com
Wed Aug 1 11:57:45 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-31 at 16:28 -0400, FM wrote:
> Tx for the reply,
> I re read the doc and my  question remains :-)
> ex :
> from the RH documentation :
> Create the ARP table entries for each virtual IP address on each real
> server (the real_ip is the IP the director uses to communicate with the
> real server; often this is the IP bound to eth0):
> arptables -A IN -d <virtual_ip> -j DROP
> arptables -A OUT -d <virtual_ip> -j mangle --mangle-ip-s <real_ip>
>

> If I create a redundancy server, and if the master server goes down, the
> backup server will create all the <virtual_ip> but not the <real_ip> so
> all the real servers still have the arptables setting to modify the
> source of the IP packet to look likes the master LVS server that is down
> now.

Another way you can do it is by adding iptables rules to you real
servers like:

-A PREROUTING -d <vip> -p tcp -m tcp --dport <dport> -j REDIRECT

I didn't have much luck using arptables, but this worked well for me.

-Steve