[Linux-cluster] Add a fence device of type SUN ILOM

James Parsons jparsons at redhat.com
Fri Aug 10 16:13:21 UTC 2007

Quentin Arce wrote:

>>> My machines are SUN Fire X4100. I see that we can define a fence
>>> device of type HP ILO. I would like to know if I can use the HP ILO
>>> form in system-config-cluster tool to enter and use a SUN ILOM as
>>> fence device?
>>>

>> How does ILOM work? telnet or ssh? Is there an snmp interface to ILOM?
>> If so, there might be a way...by hacking on another agent.
>>

> So, I'm a lurker on this list as I no longer have a cluster up... but
> I work on ILOM and I would love to see this work.  This isn't official
> support, I'm a developer not a customer support person.  So, it's more
> on my time.  If there is anything I can do... Please let me know.
> Questions on this problem, regarding what ILOM can / can't do, how to
> check state of the server via ILOM, etc.

Quentin! That is very kind of you. If you help with the ILOM protocol,
I'll help with the agent/script. This thread could form a document on
how to write an arbitrary fence agent for use with rhcs.

Where is documentation available? Generally, three things are needed
from a baseboard management device in order to use it for fencing: 1) A
way to shut the system down, 2) a way to power the system up, and 3) a
way to check if it is up or down.

What means can a script use to communicate with the ILOM card? Are there
big delta's in the protocol between different ILOM versions?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-J