[Linux-cluster] Add a fence device of type SUN ILOM

Quentin Arce Quentin.Arce at Sun.COM
Fri Aug 10 16:35:12 UTC 2007

James Parsons wrote:

>>> How does ILOM work? telnet or ssh? Is there an snmp interface to ILOM?
>>> If so, there might be a way...by hacking on another agent.
>>>

>> So, I'm a lurker on this list as I no longer have a cluster up... but
>> I work on ILOM and I would love to see this work.  This isn't
>> official support, I'm a developer not a customer support person.  So,
>> it's more on my time.  If there is anything I can do... Please let me
>> know.  Questions on this problem, regarding what ILOM can / can't do,
>> how to check state of the server via ILOM, etc.
>
> Quentin! That is very kind of you. If you help with the ILOM protocol,
> I'll help with the agent/script. This thread could form a document on
> how to write an arbitrary fence agent for use with rhcs.
>
> Where is documentation available? Generally, three things are needed
> from a baseboard management device in order to use it for fencing: 1)
> A way to shut the system down, 2) a way to power the system up, and 3)
> a way to check if it is up or down.

In that case.  I'm not very familiar with the other LOM cards out
there.  I have been told that IPMI is standard on most all cards from
most vendors for the past few years.  If this is true then perhaps the
simplest method is to use ipmitool to get/set these states.  SNMP works
fine also but requires the user to turn on r/w v3 snmp access.  If you
can confirm that IPMI is standard then it's the simplest as the commands
to get / set many readings / options are standard via the IPMI spec.

Thanks,

Quentin