[Linux-cluster] Cluster replication / mirroring with Netvault Replicator?

Jeremy Carroll Jeremyc at tasconline.com
Mon Aug 20 16:32:05 UTC 2007

Overview: I currently run a RedHat Cluster of 8 JBoss web servers
sharing data via a Global File System. My company is looking to gain
redundancy for our RHCS GFS cluster due to problems with GFS kernel
panics. During periods of network instability the GFS mounted volumes on
the cluster will oops (Most likely due to DLM failures) and panic the
majority of the machines in the cluster. This of course dissolves the
quorum and takes the entire thing down. We need some redundancy with
GFS.

My goal is to have a second cluster completely separate from the first
with the GFS data replicated in an active / active configuration. We
will have our F5 Load Balancers divide traffic to both clusters evenly.
In researching replication software to accomplish this goal I came
across BakBone's NetVault Replicator. Does anybody have experience with
real-time replication via this product? Any caveats to using this for
bi-directional replication of two GFS volumes?

Jeremy Carroll
Systems Engineer
Total Administrative Services Corporation
2302 International Lane
Madison, WI 53704-3140
800-422-4661, Extension 4247
608-241-1900, Extension 4247
608-663-9605, Fax
jeremy at tasconline.com <mailto:jeremy at tasconline.com>

This electronic message and any attachments hereto (this "email) may
contain information that is privileged, confidential or
otherwise protected from disclosure. The information is intended for the
use of the addressee(s) only. If the reader of this email is not the
intended recipient, any disclosure, copy, distribution or use of the
contents of attachments to this email is prohibited. If you have
received this email in error, please notify us immediately by reply
email, then delete this email and destroy any printed copies. It is the
sole responsibility of the recipient to ensure that this email is free
from virus or other defect, which may adversely affect the recipient's
business operations. We disclaim any liability for any damages,
including special and incidental or consequential damages, and any
related costs or expenses arising in any way whatsoever from the receipt
or use of this email. Thank you.