[Linux-cluster] Cluster replication / mirroring with Netvault Replicator?

Maciej Bogucki maciej.bogucki at artegence.com
Tue Aug 21 15:08:18 UTC 2007

Jeremy Carroll napisał(a):
> Overview: I currently run a RedHat Cluster of 8 JBoss web servers
> sharing data via a Global File System. My company is looking to gain
> redundancy for our RHCS GFS cluster due to problems with GFS kernel
> panics. During periods of network instability the GFS mounted volumes on
> the cluster will oops (Most likely due to DLM failures) and panic the
> majority of the machines in the cluster. This of course dissolves the
> quorum and takes the entire thing down. We need some redundancy with GFS.
>

> My goal is to have a second cluster completely separate from the first
> with the GFS data replicated in an active / active configuration. We
> will have our F5 Load Balancers divide traffic to both clusters evenly.
> In researching replication software to accomplish this goal I came
> across BakBone’s NetVault Replicator. Does anybody have experience with
> real-time replication via this product? Any caveats to using this for
> bi-directional replication of two GFS volumes?

First all all, check why You get kernel panic.
Second does Your aplication need GFS? maybe NFS will be ok?
If you need block device replication You coul use DRBD [1], version 0.8
support active-active configuration, but with clustered filesystemn like
GFS or OCFS2 :)

[1] - http://www.drbd.org/

Best Regards
Maciej Bogucki