[Linux-cluster] Remove journal from GFS

Claudio Tassini claudio.tassini at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 16:03:14 UTC 2007

Hi all,
i have a cluster in which two nodes share a GFS filesystem . I created the
filesystem with 3 journals - just to be sure - , and now I need to add TWO
cluster nodes and make the GFS fs visible to all the 4 nodes. When I try to
add a journal to the fs (to have 4 of them), I got this:

gfs_jadd  -j 1 -T -v /gfsfilesystem
Requested size (65536 blocks) greater than available space (2 blocks)

So i read that it's normal, but I really need to add a journal to this fs. I
was thinking about deleting one the current journals (I have 3 and I'm using
2), and then create two "half-sized" new journals, to reach the number of
4.

There is some other way I can achieve my goal? I don't think I can shrink
GFS, and I simply can't backup all data, create a new FS and then restore
(it's a 1 TB fs with production maildirs inside - you know... a VERY lot of
small, really small files, it would mean a 2-days downtime).

Any help would be really appreciated.

--
Claudio Tassini