Re: [Linux-cluster] NFS and gfs problems

Pavel Stano wrote:
i have same problem, kernel 2.6.21.6-grsec x86_64 with cluster 1.0.4
from source = cannot write file over nfs wich is bigger than cca 2kb
write() return EINVAL or something like that
i dont try 1.0.3

Pavel,

Thanks for the info. Our 1.0.3 version with NFS is very stable. Only the last time our filesystems are becoming full and we encounter sky high load and hanging NFS-servers. We are now back at this level and done a clean up and now everything works as expected again.

I do not know if there is stilol development for the gfs1 STABLE release!

but i am droping gfs at all from our servers and i am going use xfs on
one machine + nfs to all other, because gfs and all that cluster stuff
is not very stable

It is some work, but it is more scalable then one server with serveral clients. On our site we have 5 servers with 700 clients.

Bas van der Vlies wrote:
Are we the only site that tried to run cluster version 1.0.4 in combo
with  NFS?

Bas van der Vlies wrote:
We just downgraded to versions 1.0.3 with some cvs updates kernel
2.6.17.4
and nfs-kernel-server 1.0.6.

Now we can run vim/tar/bonnie++ and other unix utilities without any
problem.

With this version we experienced problems when the gfs filesystems
becomimg
full the nfsd daemons will fail and to the load of the machine becomes
equal to number of nfsd daemoms and the system is unresponsive.

Regards

Bas van der Vlies wrote:
gfs version 1.0.4
kernel 2.6.20.16
nfs-common/etch uptodate 1:1.0.10-6+etch.1
nfs-kernel-server/etch uptodate 1:1.0.10-6+etch.1

We have a five node fileserver cluster. The GFS file system works
perfectly, but on our clients we have major problems. See examples below

Do other people see this problems and is there a solution for this
problem?

bas gb2-r39n16:~$ vim j
E72: Close error on swap filebas gb2-r39n16:~$

bas gb2-r39n16:~$ tar cvf bin.tar bin
bin/
bin/mpicc-wrapper-data.txt
bin/mpiexec
bin/setmvapich
bin/modenv
bin/jobnodes
bin/SMclient
bin/ssh
tar: bin.tar: Warning: Cannot close: Invalid argument
bas gb2-r39n16:~$

bas gb2-r39n16:~$ /usr/sbin/bonnie++
Writing with putc()...done
Writing intelligently...done
Rewriting...Can't read a full block, only got 3944 bytes.
Can't read a full block, only got 8040 bytes.
Can't read a full block, only got 3944 bytes.
Can't read a full block, only got 8040 bytes.
Can't read a full block, only got 3944 bytes.
Can't read a full block, only got 3944 bytes.
Can't read a full block, only got 3944 bytes.
Can't read a full block, only got 8040 bytes.
Bad seek offset
Error in seek(0)

--
Pavel Stano