[Linux-cluster] suitability for embedded applications

Hi,

I'm currently writing my own light-weight DLM and my manager says that its taking too long and I should look at using something already out there.

I need to lock a shared resource in a building with nodes on the same LAN - specifically I'm locking a radio frequency (truly a shared resource, in every sense of the word).

Network latency can be assumed to be very small.

Only one node is allowed to transmit / receive on the radio frequency at one time.

The article on KernelTrap[1] pointed me here, and I just wanted to ask a few questions.

- is DLM suitable for embedded systems ?
- what are the major changes / additions, etc to the linux kernel ?
- does it patch to the latest linux kernel?
- does it patch to the 2.4 kernels?
- are any user-space tools necessary?
- how does an application interface to DLM ? (device node? etc)

- to the best of your knowlege, would DLM be suitable for the scenario I described above?

Cheers,

Chris

[1] http://kerneltrap.org/node/5119