[Linux-cluster] Doing "xenmotion" under rhel5.1 and RHCS

Lon Hohberger lhh at redhat.com
Tue Dec 11 19:35:14 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 10:00 +0100, carlopmart wrote:
> Lon Hohberger wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 18:22 +0100, carlopmart wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >>   I am testing xen cluster using rehl5.1 and I have some doubts. First: can I
> >> configure a dedicated ethernet interface to move xen guests over nodes on RHCS
> >> 5?. For example, I have two nodes: xenhost01 and xenhost02 with ip 1.1.1.1 and
> >> 1.1.1.2 respectively. I have another physical interface configured on each node
> >> with ip's 2.2.2.1 and 2.2.2.2. Then, I would like to move one xen guest over
> >> second interface and not over first interface using clusvcadm tool. Uname
> >> command returns hostname associated on 1.1.1.x ip. How can I do it?
> >
> > how about...
> >
> > 'xm migrate' ?
> >
> > -- Lon
>
> Yes Lon. I know that I need 'xm migrate' command to do this. My question is:
> when I execute 'xm migrate', can I be sure that migration is doing across
> 2.2.2.x network??

Sorry, I didn't mean to come off sounding like that.

More info -

I expect you should be able to use the 2.2.2.x IP address as the target
for the xm migrate command.

Basically, clusvcadm -M will always use the cluster path because it
relies on the target node name to do migration.  With 5.1, however,
rgmanager will attempt to locate VMs which were migrated by other tools.

So, xm migrage -l <vm> 2.2.2.x should actually "just work".  Because
'xm' doesn't use the cluster tools, it's not going to be re-routed
through the cluster network...

-- Lon