[Linux-cluster] with gfs2, permission denied on first attempt to run an executable

gordan at bobich.net gordan at bobich.net
Thu Dec 13 10:10:04 UTC 2007

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007, Bob Peterson wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 13:09 -0500, Ken Roser wrote:
>> I'm running a two cluster system with both nodes RHEL 5.1.  I have
>> shared gfs2 filesystems on a SAN storage device.
>>
>> Everything seems to work except for the first time I attempt to run an
>> executable on one of the gfs2 filesystems.  The first time I get
>> "permission denied", but all subsequent attempts work as expected.  If I
>> unmount and mount the filesystem, again the "permission denied" problem
>> returns just for the first time I try to execute the file.
>>
>> I'm using lock_dlm with 4 journals.  Is there anything I can
>> check/change to diagnose this problem.  I see no message in
>> /var/log/messages corresponding to the "permission denied" problem.
>
> I recreated your problem on the latest and greatest gfs2 code, so
> it's a real problem.  Can you open a bugzilla record about it?

So much for GFS2 being stable enough for production use in RHEL 5.1 ...
I'm still puzzled by the rush to get GFS2 out. GFS1 works. It's stable. It
gets the job done. Having GFS2 available in RHEL5.x before it's stable
just ends up annoying people who try it and giving RHEL a bad name. Put it
in RHEL6 when it's been through the full testing cycle. Otherwise all it
does is diminish the only advantage of RHEL over Fedora.

Just MHO...

Gordan