RE: [Linux-cluster] newbie question about RHCS/GFS stability and performance

Hi,

Typical servers are Dell PowerEdge 2950s with single quad-core Intel X5365  @ 3.00GHz processors and 16GB RAM, onboard PERC 5/I RAID controllers, 146GB, 2.5”, 10K-RPM SAS drives for /, /boot, and swap (32GB swap partition).

Using IOZONE v3.283 (detailed info below), with these types of commands:

$ ./iozone –Ra –g 2G –b ~/iozone.xls –f /mnt/gfsvol1/iozone/iozone.tmp

That runs the automatic matrix of IOZONE tests with test file sizes up to 2GB, and it skips small read/write requests for large files for time’s sake.  It is running single thread, single I/O file.  I suspect our results will look somewhat different if I spin up more parallel threads and try to match IOZONE’s testing thread-count to our application’s.

The bottom line, however, is really around RHCS and GFS.  I’m hoping to find some good pointers for performance tuning, and monitoring and measurement to feed back into the tuning, best practices, etc.  There is a presentation at http://people.redhat.com/czinzili/docs/Summit07presentation_GFS_Best_Practices_Final.pdf which covers some things, but it’s pretty light.  It did, however, point me at this mailing list, so there’s a golden nugget!

Thanks,

- K