Re: [Linux-cluster] GFS2 on FC6

Kenji Wakamiya wrote:
Hello,

Brandon Lamb wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong redhat, but it was my understanding that
development has moved to gfs2 and that in order to use a stable GFS v1
setup one would have to run older software with old kernels in order
to get it working?
I think so, too.  If I need to use truly stable GFS, I probably should
select RHEL4/CentOS4 and released version of GFS.  In that sense, the
stability level which I need now may be a little bit lower. :)
Hi Brandon and Kenji,

Just a few days ago I posted a patch to the STABLE branch of CVS to bring
GFS v1 up to the latest upstream 2.6.20-rc7 kernel.  That's bleeding edge,
not "older software with old kernels".  We've got GFS1 for RHEL5 too.
GFS v1 will be around for a long time, and on the latest kernels.

Since GFS2 was accepted into the upstream kernel, we are also working
to get that stabilized. I expect that people will naturally migrate from GFS v1 to GFS2 over time as it eventually makes GFS v1 obsolete, as ext3 did to ext2.

Disclaimer: these are only my beliefs and opinions, not Red Hat Gospel
because I'm not a manager and I'm not part of the decision-making process.

Regards,

Bob Peterson
Red Hat Cluster Suite