[Linux-cluster] Re: RedHat SSI cluster

Steven Dake sdake at redhat.com
Sat Feb 17 00:33:25 UTC 2007

Aneesh,

The latest GFS infrastructure requires total ordering of messages to
work properly and is highly integrated into openais at the moment.

It is possible to modify the totem protocol in openais to use TIPC or
some other transport besides UDP but multicast (or broadcast) is a
requirement of the underlying protocol.

I do not know of other protocols that are available with a suitable
license that provide total ordering of messages (often called agreed
ordering).

An example of what is required from the transport is as follows:
Agreed ordering always requires the following:
ex: 3 nodes transmitting messages a b c
N1: C A B delivered
N2: C A B delivered
N3: C A B delivered

whereas without total order something like this could happen:
n1: C A B delivered
N2: A B C delivered
N3: C B A delivered

This second scenario is disallowed by agreed ordering and won't work
with the GFS infrastructure.  The protocol in openais (Totem Single Ring
Protocol) provides agreed and virtual synchrony ordering.

Regards
-steve