Re: [Linux-cluster] Remove the clusterness from GFS

On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 10:39 -0800, Lin Shen (lshen) wrote:
> How easy is it to
> remove some or all of the clusterness from GFS such as fencing, cman and
> ccsd stuff? I understand that things like dlm must stay for GFS to work.

I would think it is very difficult.

You can use GFS on *one* node without a cluster.

In order to use a clustered file system, you need a cluster.  The
cluster acts as the control mechanism for accessing the file system.
Without it, each computer accessing GFS will have no knowledge of when
it is safe to write to or read from the file system.  This will lead to
file system corruption very quickly.

If you absolutely can not have a bit of "cluster software running",
you'll probably need to use a client/server approach like NFS instead of
a cluster file system like GFS.

-- Lon