[Linux-cluster] Upgrading filesystem from gfs -> gfs2

Robert Peterson rpeterso at redhat.com
Tue Jan 9 20:21:34 UTC 2007

Nate Carlson wrote:
> Nifty! That's why I asked - I'm rolling out a new cluster, and wanted
> to go GFS1 since GFS2 is still "in the works", but wanted to make sure
> there was an easy upgrade path.. :)
>
> So I guess it's fairly obvious that the FS needs to be offline?
Yes, the file system definitely needs to be offline and not mounted by
any node.

BTW, I should also mention that the gfs2_convert tool won't convert file
systems unless
they have the default (4K) block size.  If you created your file system
with different block size,
then you can't convert it.  This was done purposely because of known
GFS2 block size issues.

Regards,

Bob Peterson
Red Hat Cluster Suite