[Linux-cluster] Can't get past Segmentation Faults

Roger Peña Escobio orkcu at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 22 19:27:48 UTC 2007

--- Robert Peterson <rpeterso at redhat.com> wrote:

> isplist at logicore.net wrote:
> > I had a UPS outage overnight which took out one
> side of the power supplies on
> > some of my storage. After restoring things, I now
> have a rather confusing
> > problem.
> >
> > For some reason, all volumes were lost and now I
> cannot get anything back.
> > Since I had backups, I decided to clean everything
> up and start over. I have
> > yet to figure out how NOT to get a segmentation
> fault and am at a loss on
> > where to look next.
> >
> > Fdisk shows the LVM partitions.
> > Pvscan gives segmentation fault.
> > Vgscan gives segmentation fault.
> > Lvscan shows no volumes.
> >
> > I've tried countless combinations of vgchange -ay
> and -an as well as turning
> > on/off clvmd services, cleaning things up, I'm at
> a loss with this.
> >
> > Can someone offer a logical method of finding what
> is wrong?
> >
> > Mike
> >
> Hi Mike,
>
> If the lvm2 commands like pvscan segfault, I'd say
> that's a bug.
> In my (admittedly somewhat warped) belief system,
> commands like that should
> NEVER segfault.  They should be bullet proof, no
> matter what kind of
> corruption
> they encounter.  They should give you a sane error
> message indicating
> what the
> problem is.  I recommend making sure your software
> is up to date, then
> I'd search bugzilla for lvm2 bugs matching your
> problem.  If you can't find
> any similar, I'd file a new bug against the lvm2
> component.
I recomend also to force fsck to local filesystems,
maybe the thereis some kind of corruption in someone.
maybe some library file get corrupt ...
rpm -V <lib-package> could help
ldd /usr/sbin/pvscan should give you the libraries
files pvscan needs

just a guess

cu
roger

RedHat Certified Engineer ( RHCE )
Cisco Certified Network Associate ( CCNA )