Re: [Linux-cluster] Cluster Project FAQ - GFS tuning section]

Jon Erickson wrote:
On 1/23/07, David Teigland <teigland redhat com> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 08:39:32AM -0500, Wendell Dingus wrote:
> I don't know where that breaking point is but I believe _we've_ stepped
> over it.

The number of files in the fs is a non-issue; usage/access patterns is
almost always the issue.

> 4-node RHEL3 and GFS6.0 cluster with (2) 2TB filesystems (GULM and no
> LVM) versus
> 3-node RHEL4 (x86_64) and GFS6.1 cluster with (1) 8TB+ filesystem (DLM
> and LVM and way faster hardware/disks)
>
> This is a migration from the former to the latter, so quantity/size of
> files/dirs is mostly identical. Files being transferred from customer
> sites to the old servers never cause more than about 20% CPU load and
> that usually (quickly) falls to 1% or less after the initial xfer
> begins. The new servers run to 100% where they usually remain until the
> transfer completes. The current thinking as far as reason is the same
> thing being discussed here.

This is strange, are you mounting with noatime? Also, try setting this on
each node before it mounts gfs:

echo "0" > /proc/cluster/lock_dlm/drop_count
What does this do?

The /proc/cluster/lock_dlm/drop_count file is used to tune the number of locks that lock_dlm keeps in its cache. 0 sets it to unlimited. For more info, see:

"What does the /proc/cluster/lock_dlm/drop_count file do and why do some nodes exceed this value?"
http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/FAQ_85_9320.shtm

Riaan
begin:vcard
fn:Riaan van Niekerk
n:van Niekerk;Riaan
org:Obsidian Systems;Obsidian Red Hat Consulting
email;internet:riaan obsidian co za
title:Systems Architect
tel;work:+27 11 792 6500
tel;fax:+27 11 792 6522