[Linux-cluster] HEARTBEAT and WAN

Michael Will mwill at penguincomputing.com
Tue Jan 30 14:15:59 UTC 2007

A floating ip address makes only sense if it is the same on both systems since it is used to hide the different identities of the servers implementing the service, making the failover transparent to the clients that can just reconnect to the same ip address after a failure.

If you do need that feature you could achieve that with a virtual private network vpn that layers over both subnets but then your clients need to be on that private network as well.

You can do without that that if your clients can be programmed to try both ip addresses before giving up.

Michael Will / SE Technical Lead
www.penguincomputing.com