[Linux-cluster] Redhat cluster and GFS node limit

Lon Hohberger lhh at redhat.com
Wed Jul 11 14:38:03 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 03:34:24AM -0700, Hal wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a project which requires a cluster of over 100 GFS nodes. GFS supports
> them, but RH cluster supports only 16 nodes. For this case the documentation
> says:
>
> "Red Hat GFS is scalable up to 300 nodes, a Red Hat Cluster Manager limits the
> total number of nodes in a cluster to 16. Therefore, in this scenario, Red Hat
> GFS scalability is limited. If the 16-node limit is too small for your
> deployment, you may want to consider using multiple Red Hat Cluster Manager
> clusters."
>
> So any docs or ideas on how to build "multiple Red Hat Cluster Manager
> clusters"?

The documentation is a hair unclear here, I guess.

You can build a 100 node GFS cluster.  In the case of the documentation
above, it is referring to just the failover component (not related to
GFS).

That is, you can...

* build a 100 node cluster
* mount GFS on 100 nodes
* Access files from all 100 nodes
* start the "service manager" ("Cluster Manager") portion on 16