[Linux-cluster] Hassle with clvmd over external network

Dear list,

I'm trying to set up RHCS and GFS in a cluster which has two network
memberships, one is internal (eth0, 10.1.0.0/16, dns-names: host.local),
the other external (eth1, our real-world subnet and dns names). Every
cluster node has these two interfaces and related ip-numbers in both
networks.

When I set up the RHCS and GFS on the local subnet, everything works
fine (ccsd, cman, clvmd, ... and also gfs mountable volumes). But if I
try to change cluster.conf to use the real-world addresses (I want to
use the gfs volumes also outside of the cluster), clvmd always makes
problems. I followed the faq and changed /etc/init.d/cman to connect
with -n host.external.dns.com. All hosts are in /etc/hosts. ccsd starts
well on all clients, as does cman and fenced. But when I try to start
the clvmd service on all nodes simultaneously, I get errors (Starting
clvmd: clvmd startup timed out).

This is what my /proc gives me:
[root dtm ~]# cat /proc/cluster/services
Service          Name                              GID LID State     Code
Fence Domain:    "default"                          11   2 run       -
[8 7 6 5 4 3 2 9 10 11 1]

DLM Lock Space:  "clvmd"                            14   3 join
S-6,20,11
[8 7 6 5 4 3 2 9 10 11 1]

[root compute-0-1 ~]# cat /proc/cluster/services
Service          Name                              GID LID State     Code
Fence Domain:    "default"                          11   2 run       -
[2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 8 11 1]

DLM Lock Space:  "clvmd"                            14   3 update    U-4,1,1
[2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 1]

(the second output I get from all the other nodes, I think it depends on
which host i start the service first on)

Has anybody an idea how clvmd communicates to each other? cman is doing
fine... any other experiences? Thanks for any advice...

Regards,
Sebastian