Re: [Linux-cluster] Backups with GFS and RAM sizing

On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 11:15:54AM -0400, Danny Wall wrote:
> My backups are taking a very long time, and I am looking for ways to
> optimize the process, so suggestions are welcome.

I suspect that a large part of this is just the inherent slowness of gfs.
Here are some ideas to try,
1. echo "0" > /proc/cluster/lock_dlm/drop_count
2. mount each fs with nolock during the backup (mount -o lockproto=lock_nolock)
3. unmount/remount each fs after the backup is done with it to get rid
   of the excessive unwanted caching effects from scanning the whole fs
4. use the glock_purge feature that's in 4.5 (which approximates 3 without
   the unmount)

Dave