[Linux-cluster] fence_apc failure

James Parsons jparsons at redhat.com
Tue Jul 31 14:36:36 UTC 2007

Chris,

If you run /sbin/fence_apc -V, and the response is "fence_apc 1.32.45",
then you are using the latest
apc agent that has been updated to handle the 3.x apc firmware.

If you are running the latest agent, then you are obviously encountering
a problem. It is possible that it has something to do with the asterisk
that is appearing after an outlet group. Please let me know if you are
running 1.32.45...this should be able to be fixed today, if you can help
with some testing.

Some background on the fence_apc agent for those who care:
For years, the apc agent was written in perl. As the apc firmware
evolved from release to release, the regexp match patterns for screen
scraping the telnet session grew uglier and uglier. In addition, the
perl agent did not support outlet naming or grouping, and did not handle
the larger switches that took 2 or more screens to list out the
available outlets. To add these features and to make the agent easier to
maintain, it was decided to rewrite the agent in python. This was done
while apc firmware was still in the 2.x series.

After some errors with MasterSwitchPlus switches were fixed, the agent
worked well in the field...until version 3.x firmware was released. This
firmware release changed ALOT of things, including screen order.

The current agent version worked well on my older apc switches as well
as the ones with newer firmware, so I released it into the beta and plan
on releasing it as an async errata release for RHEL4.5 Cluster Suite.

I will try and reproduce this issue this morning and have something for
you to test today.

By the way, there is also a fence_apc_snmp agent. It works great, but we
have not switched to using it exclusively yet, because some admins don't
like having snmp packages on their systems - but with the pain that
trying to maintain the telnet version of this agent is causing, it is
making me lean more and more towards including just one apc solution -
snmp. :-/

Thanks for your patience,

-Jim