[Linux-cluster] fence device: network card?

Lon Hohberger lhh at redhat.com
Wed Jun 13 19:04:13 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 04:30:07PM -0700, Karl R. Balsmeier wrote:
> Basically I read in the docs you can use a NIC card as a fence device,
> is this true?

I don't think there's NIC-based fencing at this point; I could be
mistaken; I haven't looked at the fence tree for some time.

Could you point me at where it noted this so I can read it and send in
corrections?

> Right now each of the 3 servers have 3 NICs, so I have a total of 9 to
> play with.  Right now I am bonding the two GB NIC's together no
> problem.  That leaves each server a 100mbps NIC.

> My ultimate goal is to use these 3 machines to make a Vsftpd GFS cluster
> that I can run Iscsi over.

GNBD is not iSCSI.  It is similar in that it implements a block device
over the network, but to use fence_gnbd, you need to be using GNBD (not
iSCSI).