[Linux-cluster] 4U5 CSS/CMAN/fence quorum confusion

Robert Clark cluster at defuturo.co.uk
Mon Jun 11 10:50:14 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-11 at 11:05 +0100, Patrick Caulfield wrote:
> Robert Clark wrote:

> >   Well, I was missing the dlm package. The system was still booting
> > occasionally without it. Now I've installed that, the device file is
> > being created in /dev/misc/dlm-control instead, but ccsd still spends
> >> 10 seconds waiting for it to appear and fenced often fails to start as
> > a result.
> >
> >   Is the delay here likely to simply be udev being slow?
>
> It sounds like udev isn't creating it at all. What happens is that libdlm waits
> 10 seconds for udev to create the device file, and if it doesn't appear after
> that time it will do the job itself.
>
> Not being a udev expert I'm not really sure why that might be.

  As an experiment, I've tried just loading the dlm module on a node
with no cluster services running and confirmed that dlm-control is being
created by udev.

  I must admit - I'm pretty confused now about the role of libdlm. Since
it turns out that I've been running a 4U4 cluster without the dlm
package installed (and so no libdlm) and, until this morning, my 4U5
cluster in the same state, I'm wondering: What uses libdlm?

	Robert