[Linux-cluster] Possible to Share Berkeley DB Environment via GFS?

Brian C. O'Berry brian at bcons.com
Wed Jun 27 13:11:25 UTC 2007

Is it possible to share a Berkeley DB environment, via a common GFS
filesystem, between Concurrent Data Store applications running on
different systems?

In reference to *remote* filesystems, the Berkeley DB Reference Guide
states that

"Remote filesystems rarely support mapping files into process memory,
and even more rarely support correct semantics for mutexes after the
attempt succeeds. For this reason, we strongly recommend that the
database environment directory reside in a local filesystem... For
remote filesystems that do allow system files to be mapped into process
memory, home directories accessed via remote filesystems cannot be used
simultaneously from multiple clients. None of the commercial remote
filesystems available today implement coherent, distributed shared
memory for remote-mounted files. As a result, different machines will
see different versions of these shared regions, and the system behavior
is undefined."

Based on that, I'd expect sharing the environment (home) directory
between systems to be infeasible, but I know little about GFS.  Can
someone verify one way or the other whether such sharing is possible?

Thanks,

Brian