[Linux-cluster] Quorum Disk question

Jay Leafey jleafey at utmem.edu
Wed Mar 7 17:32:20 UTC 2007

James Lapthorn wrote:
> Good afternoon,
>
> Hopefully somebody can help with a Quorum disk question I have.  I have a
> 4 node cluster and have adopted a 'last man standing' approach.  Because
> of this I use a quorum disk which is I have setup on my SAN.
>
> I have added the following configuration into my cluster.conf file.
>
> <quorumd device="/dev/vpathe" interval="1" tko="10" votes="4">
>      <heuristic interval="2" program="ping leoukldb1 -c1 -t1" score="
>     1"/>
>      <heuristic interval="2" program="ping leoukldb2 -c1 -t1" score="
>     1"/>
>      <heuristic interval="2" program="ping leoukldb3 -c1 -t1" score="
>     1"/>
>      <heuristic interval="2" program="ping leoukldb4 -c1 -t1" score="
>     1"/>
> </quorumd>
>
> Each node has 1 vote and the quorum disk has 4, therefore Quorum should
> remain if 3 nodes are removed from the cluster.
>
> While testing this I have noticed that i get the following error in the log:
>
>  qdiskd[26676]: <notice> Score insufficient for master operation (1/2;
> max=4); downgrading
>
> At this point Activity is blocked.
>
> Is this to do with my heuristic programs, should I not ping each memeber
> node and maybe ping something like 'localhost'

Instead of pinging the individual nodes in the cluster, how about
pinging the default router?  If the entire network goes away, all nodes
in the cluster should become inquorate and block activity.  If an
Ethernet drop to a single host goes bad, it will lose quorum but the
other hosts should remain quorate.  That's the approach we're using and
it seems to work OK so far.

Hope that helps!
--
Jay Leafey - University of Tennessee