[Linux-cluster] FWD: Question on RH Cluster from a MySQL Customer

Robert Peterson rpeterso at redhat.com
Wed Mar 7 18:56:10 UTC 2007

Tom Lane wrote:
> Can someone help out this questioner?  I know zip about Cluster.
> I looked at the FAQ for a bit and thought that what he wants is
> probably doable, but I couldn't tell if it would be easy or
> painful to do load-balancing in this particular way.  (And I'm not
> qualified to say if what he wants is a sensible approach, either.)
>
> 			regards, tom lane

Hi Tom, Ivan, and linux-cluster readers,

In theory, our Piranha / LVS (Linux Virtual Server) may be used to
load-balance the requests to numerous mysql servers in a cluster.

Our rgmanager can provide the High Availability to fail over
mysql services to other nodes in the cluster if they fail.

However, if the mysqld daemons are all running on a SAN and you're
mysqld daemons are trying to serve data from the same file system, you
probably have a problem.  To share the data/database on the SAN in
one harmonious file system, you could use the GFS file system, but
"regular" mysql is not cluster-aware (to the best of my knowledge).
The sum of my understanding about this may be found here:

http://sources.redhat.com/cluster/faq.html#gfs_mysql

Since Ivan works for mysql, perhaps he can clear this up if
it's not accurate.  I'd like to know more about "mysql-cluster"
and how it's implemented.  I'd like to see mysql implemented as
a cluster-friendly app using our cluster infrastructure so they
can effectively compete against Oracle RAC without reinventing
the wheel.  I'd even like to be a part of the effort to make this
happen.  Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bob Peterson
Red Hat Cluster Suite