[Linux-cluster] FWD: Question on RH Cluster from a MySQL Customer

Ivan Zoratti ivan at mysql.com
Thu Mar 8 10:39:36 UTC 2007

Hi Robert,

First of all, thanks for your time, I really appreciate it.
I'd like to reply to two separate topics here: first, the objective
of my question and second, the cluster-awareness of MySQL and the use
of GFS with MySQL.

My original question was mainly related to the use of Piranha to
switch over a service (ie, a specific mysql daemon) from one server
to another, in case of fault. There should be only one active service
in the cluster, therefore no concurrency or locking issues should
happen.
The ideal system should be able to:
- have a list of services to launch on the cluster
- identify the node in the cluster suitable to host the service (for
example the node with less workload)
- check the availability of the service
- stop the service on a node (if the service is not already down) and
start the service on another node in case of fault

Fault tolerance in this case will be provided by the ability to
switch the service from one server to another in the cluster.
Scalability is not provided within the service, ie the limitation in
resources for the service consist of the resources available on that
specific server.

I understand that your cluster suite can provide this functionality.
I am mainly looking for a supported set of features for an enterprise
organisation.

The second topic is related to the use of MySQL with clusters and
specifically with GFS. It is what we use to call MySQL in active-
active clustering. I am afraid your documentation is not totally
accurate. Unfortunately, information on the Internet (and also on our
web site) are often contradictory.
It is indeed possible to run multiple mysqld services on different
cluster nodes, all sharing the same data structure on shared storage,
with this configuration:
- Only the MyISAM storage engine can be used
- Each mysqld service must start with the external-locking parameter on
- Each mysqld service hase to have the query cache parameter off
(other cache mechanisms remain on, since they are automatically
invalidated by external locking)

I am afraid this configuration still does not compete against Oracle
RAC. MySQL does not provide a solution that can be compared 1:1 with
RAC. You may find some MySQL implementations much more effective than
RAC for certain environments, as you will certainly find RAC
performing better than MySQL on other implementations.

Based on the experience of the sales engineering team, customers have
never been disappointed by the technology that MySQL can provide as
an alternative to RAC. Decisions are based on many other factors,
such as the introduction of another (or a different) database, the
cost of migrating current applications and compatibility with third
party products. You can imagine we are working hard to remove these
obstacles.

Thanks again for your help,

Kind Regards,

Ivan

--
   Ivan Zoratti - Sales Engineering Manager EMEA

   MySQL AB - Windsor - UK
   Mobile: +44 7866 363 180

   ivan at mysql.com
   http://www.mysql.com