[Linux-cluster] storage clustering without SAN

Robert Peterson rpeterso at redhat.com
Wed Mar 21 14:11:44 UTC 2007

Shailesh wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>              I am looking for a storage solution where there is NO
> common storage area like a SAN. But just a bunch of PC clustered togther
> with their internal disk space used collectively as a storage area.
>
> Can you suggest me any information that talks about such an
> architecture ?
>
> Can I use the redhat clustering suite with these bunch of PC
> connected on a ethernet network ?
>
> Do I have to use GFS , if RHCS is employed ?
>
> I'll appreciate your answer to the above.
>
> Thanks & Regards
> Shailesh P S

Hi Shailesh,

If your storage is not shared, what exactly do you mean by "used
collectively"?

You can use the cluster suite to cluster a bunch of PCs together
so they cooperate, provide High Availability services (through
rgmanager) and so forth, regardless of whether you use GFS.

If your storage isn't shared between the systems, you don't
need GFS.

Regards,

Bob Peterson
Red Hat Cluster Suite