[Linux-cluster] Why no node-specific <quorumd>?

Steven Dake sdake at redhat.com
Mon Mar 26 21:00:04 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-26 at 21:16 +0200, Jos Vos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering why <quorumd> is a cluster-global config item.  This
> means it *has* to be the same for all nodes.  Is there a good reason
> for this?
>
> Of course it is possible to make node-specific distinctions in the
> heuristic scripts that are executed.  But at least the votes associated
> with each node now can't be different.

I'm not sure why you would want to select one view of a primary
component (aka quorum membership) with one node, and another primary
component with another node.  Then as the nodes make decisions, they
would be inconsistent (ie: consider GFS one node would think writes were
ok, while another may not...  shouldn't they agree?).

Could you explain the use case?

Thanks
-steve