[Linux-cluster] Making gfs-deploy-tool dist agnostic (somewhat)

"C. Bergström" cbergstrom at netsyncro.com
Tue Mar 27 11:50:49 UTC 2007

Sebastian Walter wrote:

> C. Bergström wrote:
>> I'm trying to really clean up my cluster deployment and while looking
>> at GFS came across this.
>>
>> http://people.redhat.com/rkenna/gfs-deploy-tool/html.doc/
>>
>> To be upfront, I my dist of choice doesn't use an rpm based binary
>> package system.  Is there or would there be any objection to add in
>> the ability for other backends.. eg.. debs?  My timeframe is about 30
>> days to take a poke at this so I'm in no rush.  Any feedback is
>> appreciated.
>>

> Hi Christopher,
>
> I don't want to evangelize anyone, but maybe you should have a look at
> the rocks cluster distribution. Its a wrap-around of any RHEL4
> compatible distribution (CentOS, FC, RHEL), which does the deployment
> job for you. I'm at the moment rolling out a 48 core cluster with a
> timeframe of 1 month, and it's really taking a lot off the shoulders,
> altough it's still short in time. My setup is FC SAN, GFS and
> automatic deployment, and I'm currently writing on a howto for that
> setup (in case you're interested).
>
> http://www.rocksclusters.org

I sincerely appreciate you pointing me in this direction.  I'm quite
interested in any documentation you can point me at as I'm always up for
learning/reading more.  In this case there's no reason to change dist..
I'll patch gfs-deploy and either locally maintain the patches or
hopefully get them accepted upstream.  I didn't realize this was a RH
and friends only project.

Thanks

C.