[Linux-cluster] Re: Slow tar

On Wed, 9 May 2007, Kadlecsik Jozsi wrote:

> We have been testing GFS over AoE (over Gb Ethernet) and in our last test
> what we tried is to untar a 38GB file with 150000 files. The process was
> started two days ago and it still hasn't completed. We see that it
> proceeds in creating the new files and directories, but this seems to be
> way too slow.

It seems we hit a hardware/driver problem related to the jumbo frame
setting. Leaving out GFS, the access to the AoE device is slow from two
machines using Intel 82541GI/PI cards and jumbo frames. With MTU set to
1500, the read/write performance is normal.

Best regards,
E-mail : kadlec sunserv kfki hu, kadlec blackhole kfki hu
PGP key: http://www.kfki.hu/~kadlec/pgp_public_key.txt
Address: KFKI Research Institute for Particle and Nuclear Physics
         H-1525 Budapest 114, POB. 49, Hungary