[Linux-cluster] GNBD -> MD -> GFS?

Nathaniel Eliot temujin9 at t9productions.com
Tue May 22 07:02:49 UTC 2007

I've been looking for a Linux clustered file system that can mirror/stripe
across storage servers.  The end goal is to build a HA cluster from just FOSS
and commodity parts.  I've found two existing possibilities, each with drawbacks:

1) GPFS can do redundant storage, but isn't FOSS.
2) DRBD + GNBD + GFS is free, but can only do two active nodes.

I'm considering putting software RAID between GNBD and GFS on each storage node.
 The superblocks would be retained, so each MD would theoretically have the same
view of data.  GFS is cluster aware, and GNBD built for clusters; the big
question is, can they work sandwiching the non-cluster-aware MD?

Any quick links/explanations as to why this won't work, and/or useful
suggestions, would be appreciated.  Thanks,

--
Nathaniel Eliot
T9 Productions