[Linux-cluster] RHEL cluster upgrade from v4.4 to v4.5

rhurst at bidmc.harvard.edu rhurst at bidmc.harvard.edu
Fri May 25 14:06:38 UTC 2007

Fortunately for us, we still have time.  Our RHEL cluster implementation
is in its final stages of DEV-TEST before we Go Live with production in
July.  We have at least another month to stress test U5, but all early
indicators are suggesting it is stable -- again.  We had no critical
issues with our source rpmbuilds of 6.1.0 - 6.1.4, only with their first
binary releases to the RHN software channel for U4.

If after a conference call with Red Hat tech support today goes well, I
will close all open tickets and write U4 off as an aberration.

On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 14:07 +0200, Cosimo Streppone wrote:

> rhurst at bidmc.harvard.edu wrote:
>
> > Odd, I got just the opposite from them, instructing us to do the upgrade
> > to fix our rgmanager / dlm bugs... the channel HAS the correct packages
> > for U5 as of this past Friday, and they 'up2date' perfectly.  No new
> > issues to report, except our 11-node cluster is running on U5 now with
> > all its features: GFS, pulse, rgmanager, etc.
>
> RH Tech support has discouraged me to upgrade a two-nodes cluster
> for two reasons:
> 1) RHCS 4U5 packages were not released to rhn.
> 2) RHEL 4U5 kernel (2.6.9-55, correct me if I'm wrong) has an issue
>     and therefore they suggest to wait for a following fix.
>
> I think that 1) is no more the case. RHCS channel is, in fact, updated to
> the current kernel (2.6.9-55).
>
> For 2), I don't know. My test machines run smoothly with 4U5, but
> for production machines, I'm holding the upgrade. Now I'm running
> 4U4 (2.6.9-42.0.10) and related cluster packages.
>
> And you?

Robert Hurst, Sr. Caché Administrator
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
1135 Tremont Street, REN-7
Boston, Massachusetts   02120-2140
617-754-8754 ∙ Fax: 617-754-8730 ∙ Cell: 401-787-3154