[Linux-cluster] Can I control journal size and placement in GFS? (need update for GFS 6.1?)

Filipe Miranda filipe.miranda at gmail.com
Thu May 31 14:38:42 UTC 2007

Hello,

I would like to know if the information below applies to the GFS 6.1?
I guess that resource groups are the building blocks of the pool file system
management, but I the GFS 6.1 uses a tottaly different file system
management (LVM2).
(please correct me if I am wrong)

   1. Can I control journal size and placement in GFS?

   Not really. The gfs_mkfs command decides exactly where everything
   should go and you have no choice in the matter. The volume is carved into
   logical "sections." The first and last sections are for multiple resource
   groups, based roughly on the rg size specified on the gfs_mkfs commandline.
   The journals are always placed between the first and last section.
   Specifying a different number of journals will force gfs_mkfs to carve the
   section size smaller, thus changing where your journals will end up.

Thank you,
Filipe Miranda

--
---