[Linux-cluster] Arbitrary heuristics

I need to setup an IP-tie breaker.

It appears that I need to setup shared storage to utilize QDisks features or write a C program to use libcman?

Perhaps I don't need to add/change quorum voting. Perhaps I can write a cron called script which will withdraw the node from the cluster if pinging the gateway fails. I certainly need to add some checks for my application health. Is there a standard mechanism other than qdisk heuristics to tell the cluster good bye?

   thanks
   scottb