[Linux-cluster] I give up

James Parsons jparsons at redhat.com
Wed Nov 28 22:27:20 UTC 2007

Scott Becker wrote:

> Kevin Anderson wrote:
>
>> Not sure what you mean by 3 to 1 using IP tie breaker.  How are you
>> maintaining quorum without qdisk as a voting entity?
>>
> I have three nodes. If one fails the other two are expected to
> maintain quorum and continue. I would really like a second failure to
> keep going on it's own (last man standing). For this to work I would
> need to set expected votes to 1 and make sure the correct node wins
> the ensuing fencing race.
>
> Case two. I remove one node from the cluster to maintain it. Now I
> have a two node cluster. Same issues as above. Luci wants to set
> two_node = 1 in this case instead of just dealing with expected votes
> = 1.

I know why Luci is doing this -- she sees the cluster reduced from three
nodes to two nodes and configures it (as the large majority or our
typical users consider) appropriately. When you are finished maintaining
the node and you tell Luci to add it back in to the cluster, she will
remove those configuration attributes.

The sticking point seems to be your particular desired cluster behavior
and the fact that it lies outside of what was expected for cluster suite.

If this is not appropriate behavior for you, then don't use Luci. You
are free to use a text editor on the cluster.conf file and propagate it
manually via the command line on one of the nodes, as you are free to
edit the source code and add ssh support to your favorite fence agent.
You are free to go off the map, and the members of this list (including
many of the Red Hat engineers who write cluster code and watch this
list) will assist you in your expedition as much as possible. We will
all try our best to help you get where you want to go (and I think you
would have to agree that you have had a very respectable response rate
for your queries this last month - many have tried to offer you
assistance), but if we can't think of a way to stretch the software to
your needs, then we just can't.

I do want to disagree strongly, however, with your blanket suggestion
that this software is not complete, and is not a cluster solution. It is
a solution for many, many users...not all of whom are RH customers. It
is just not a solution for you, my friend.

Thanks for your many constructive comments. I hope you keep trying the
software - we are here to help as best we can. I haven't given up on you
*quite* yet! :)

-J