[Linux-cluster] File system checking

Does anybody know the best way to check that a filesystem is healthy?

I'm working on a light selfcheck script (to be ran once a minute) and creating a file and checking it's existence may not work because of write caching. Checking the mount status is probably better but I don't know. I've had full filesystems and once the kernel detected an error and remounted read only. Other times, when a drive in the raid array was slowly failing, it would hang on all IO for a spell.

If there's an existing source module or a script somebody is aware of that would be great.

   thanks
   scottb