[Linux-cluster] how to add lvm volume to cluster

Arthur MEßNER Arthur.MESSNER at tilak.at
Thu Oct 4 06:19:21 UTC 2007

I'm new to this list, so please excuse if this question was
asked and probably solved elsewhere.

How is the suggested way to add a new lun,
create a disk partition on, it, use this partition as
physical volume, create a volume group and create logical volume ?

I have done this on our three node (xen01-xen03) RHEL 5 cluster.
I used a shared storage over fc ( HP EVA 8100 ) with multipath.

- rescan echo "- - -" > /sys/classes/scsi_host/host0/scan on all nodes
  the devices appeared
- done multipath mapping, and set multipath alias
- on one node made the partition
- on one node made the pv
- on one node made the vg
- on onde node made the logical volume

but this volume can't be taken active:

[root at xen02 kiswatch]# vgchange -ay
Error locking on node xen01.tilak.ibk: Volume group for uuid not found:
nEh1p8PzgfJO6Dedzjis1uDO6Yan2W5vew9ZlmZ3xyxbsgKclRwLCNAulf28UPqJ
Error locking on node xen02.tilak.ibk: Volume group for uuid not found:
nEh1p8PzgfJO6Dedzjis1uDO6Yan2W5vew9ZlmZ3xyxbsgKclRwLCNAulf28UPqJ

the command lvdisplay on xen01 show the searched uuid:
[root at xen01 kiswatch]# lvdisplay
  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/lvm1/kiswatch_xvda
  VG Name                lvm1
  LV UUID                ew9Zlm-Z3xy-xbsg-KclR-wLCN-Aulf-28UPqJ
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              NOT available
  LV Size                5.00 GB
  Current LE             1280
  Segments               1
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     0

after restart of node xen02 the problem disappeared,
but the node xen01 is very busy and should not be restartet.

thanks in advance for any help