[Linux-cluster] gfs perfomance tuning

Mital Patel mital at tinyprints.com
Tue Oct 9 02:05:37 UTC 2007

Hi,

I am looking for suggestions on how to increase the speed of our GFS
configuration.  We are using GFS on a cluster of 4 web servers with a
EMC AX150i iscsi server backend.  Cluster/GFS is setup and working
properly, however it seems to have horrible performance when multiple
nodes attempt to create files in the same shared directory.  Our
application require us to create many small files on the shared drive,
which according to this site,
http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/FAQ_78_3152.shtm is not the best environment
to use GFS.  I am exploring alternatives, but if we can get GFS to a
point where it's usable, we want to stick with it and hope GFS2
increases the performance even more.

I have read through some previous threads and it seems like I can eek
some performance by increasing the gfs_scand interval, is that correct?
Are there any other settings that would help with performance?

System Info:
Centos 4.5
kernel 2.6.9-55.0.6.ELsmp
GFS-kernel-smp-2.6.9-72.2.0.7