[Linux-cluster] IPv6 enabled: out of memory!

Kadlecsik Jozsi kadlec at sunserv.kfki.hu
Wed Oct 10 10:28:16 UTC 2007

Hi,

Something really strange happened here: adding one global IPv6 address to
an ("external") interface of one node caused "out of memory" on *all* of
our nodes.

All nodes have got two interfaces, one dedicated to GFS and the other is
for servicing the users. We configured IPv4 addresses for GFS, otherwise
all interfaces have got link local IPv6 addresses. Now we wanted to
introduce services over IPv6 as well. Adding an IPv6 address to one
interface and rebooting the machine for a clean start caused the disaster.

Is it an unsupported configuration? Should we convert to IPv6 exclusively
for GFS? (As we had trouble with IPv4 multicast for GFS, that'd be a major
modification.)

What do you suggest, how could we enable IPv6 for services but keeping
IPv4 for GFS?

We run cluster-2.01.00 over 2.6.23-rc4 kernel.

Best regards,
Jozsef
E-mail : kadlec at sunserv.kfki.hu, kadlec at blackhole.kfki.hu
PGP key: http://www.kfki.hu/~kadlec/pgp_public_key.txt
Address: KFKI Research Institute for Particle and Nuclear Physics
         H-1525 Budapest 114, POB. 49, Hungary