[Linux-cluster] XEN and Cluster Questions

Marc Grimme grimme at atix.de
Wed Oct 17 09:41:02 UTC 2007

Hello,
we are currently discussing XEN with clustering support.
There came some questions we are not sure what the answer is. Perhaps you can
help ;-) .

Background is: We are discussing a group of XEN Dom0 Hosts sharing all devices
and files via GFS. They themselves again host a couple of virtually
redhat-clustered DomU Hosts with or without gfs.

1. Live Migration of cluster DomU nodes:
When I live migrate a virtual DomU clusternode to another DOM0 XEN Host the
migration works ;-) , but the virtual clusternode is thrown out of the
cluster. Is this a "works as designed"? I think the problem are the
heartbeats not coming in proper time.
Does that lead to the conclusion that one cannot live migrate cluster nodes?

2. Fencing:
How about fencing of the virtual Dom-U Clusternodes. You are never sure on
which Dom-0 Node runs our Dom-U Clusternode. Is the fencing via fence_xvm[d]
supported on such an environment? That means how does a virtual DomU
clusternode X running on Dom0 Xen Host x know that if virtual DomU
clusternode Y running on Dom0 Xen Host y is running there when it is getting
the fence request to fence Host y where it is running?

Thanks Marc.
--
Gruss / Regards,

Marc Grimme