[Linux-cluster] GFS and GFS2 : two questions: which is bettter; gfs_controld error

Wendy Cheng wcheng at redhat.com
Mon Sep 3 21:49:48 UTC 2007

Ian Brown wrote:

>gfs_mkfs -p lock_dlm -t myCLuster -j 32 /dev/cciss/c0d1p2

Few things:

First, not sure why gfs_mkfs let you get away without specifying
filesystem-name (-t option) .. ideally a gfs_mkfs should be dispatched as:
shell> gfs_mkfs -t mycluster:myfs -p lock_dlm -j 2 /dev/vg0/mygfs (see
the ":" between the cluster name and fs name here ?).

Do a "man gfs_mkfs" to get the correct syntax of "-t" (locktable)

Second, I notice you didn't use (c)lvm partition but a cciss raw device.
How many nodes do you have in the cluster (or how many nodes do you plan
to access this particular filesystem) ? If it is planned for multiple
nodes access, please use (cluster version of) LVM (clvm). If this is for
single node access, it is probably better using "-p nolock" protocol but
"-p lock_dlm" should work fine.

>mount /dev/cciss/c0d1p2 /mnt/gfs
>
>The errors I see in the console are:
>/sbin/mount.gfs: lock_dlm_join: gfs_controld join error: -22
>/sbin/mount.gfs: error mounting lockproto lock_dlm
>
>The error I see in kernel log is:
>gfs_controld[32629]: mount: not in default fence domain

In theory, when you do "mount", the gfs-kmod should be loaded
automatically (assume "service cman start" has been run). Check your
/etc/cluster/cluster.conf file please! Also make sure "fenced" is up and
runnning ("service cman start" should bring it up) when you do the mount.

>I want to add that the cman service is started succesfully as the
>kernel log shows.
>
>I want also to add that "service cman start" performs modprbe of gfs2 module
>and not gfs module !
>
>Namely, I ran rmmod gfs; then, after :
>service cman stop
>and
>rmmod lock_dlm
>rmmod gfs2
>
>running  lsmod | grep gfs2 shows that
>no gfs2 is loaded,
>and after "service cman start" I see by
> lsmod | grep gfs2
>gfs2                  522965  1 lock_dlm
>
>which means that starting the cman service performed modprobe/insmod
>of gfs2 and lock_dlm
>
>Is this how things should be?

Yes, it was the original design for RHEL5 (i.e., gfs2 is the default).
However, you really shouldn't worry about this module loading business.
The "mount" should be able to find the correct module and load the
module behind the scene. If your gfs-kmod correctly exists in
/lib/modules directory, then I don't have goold clues why things go
wrong (it works for me). Open a service ticket if you have RHEL
subscription (so support folks can look into the details). Or maybe GFS
team's other team member can spot anything that I've missed ?

-- Wendy